Teacher Talk Tuesday

My family calls me Sunshine.

My friends call me Joanna or JoMo. 

My first graders called me Teacher or  Mom.
(No little one, I'm not your mommy.)

My High Schoolers call me....BORING.

Why did you become a teacher?
My reasons are the obvious ones: I like kids, I want to change the world for the better, I want to touch the lives of others...blah blah gushy gushy.
I also wanted a career where I can pour out my creativity into fun lessons. Sure, I love glitter and who the heck doesn't love making High Five Turkeys during Thanksgiving, but I really wanted to marry the two, Fun and Learning, to make the best darn classroom in the world.

Movies like Dangerous Minds and Freedom Writers tug at my heart strings.

And that Sylvan Learning commercial where the boy gives his mom a good report card for her birthday... ummm, pass the tissue box please! SOB FESTIVAL!

This profession also ran in my blood. My Grandmother was a teacher in the Philippines, my Mom was a preschool teacher, and my Aunt was a College Professor. Talk about FATE!

How long have you been a teacher?
I student taught for a year. I dabbled in 4th grade, 2nd grade, and 1st grade.
I fell in LOVE with 1st grade and taught it for 4 years.
Because of the budget cuts here in Good ol' California, you know, the state run by The Terminator (Gawd so embarrassing!), I was forced to teach a High School remedial reading class, where I've been teaching for 1 year.

What are the PROS and CONS of teaching?
 Pros: You get to be an influential force in a child's life. You can make such positive changes in the lives of students, parents, and fellow teachers. EVERYDAY is different. You get to be creative. The title of being a Teacher is an honor. You get to practice your math facts and relearn vocabulary that you totally forgot about.


Cons: Many people don't care about education, thus leaving the title as a teacher the lowest job known to man. Some parents are quick to point the finger and jump down your throat. You work long hours grading, planning, prepping, crying, stressing. You take the "sad stories" home with you making it impossible to live your own life at times. You are pressured by the Higher ups in so many ways. Boogers, Spit, Throw-up, Dirt, Tears, Sweat, and a carousel of germs...all...up...on you. And none of them your own. You only have a year to teach a student everything they need to know, including manners, personal hygiene, and how to be a good person.

How much does a teacher make?
Watch this...it's brilliant.


Do you have any advice for those looking to be a teacher?
Yes! Next question please.

Seriously, my advice to prospective teachers is to:
  •  DO NOT THINK about your experience in school because your "student experience" is drastically HOLY COW, different from the "teacher's experience."
  • Shadow a  couple of teachers for a month. I recommend not going to those that are new to the game, nor about ready to retire. See what a teacher does on a day to day basis and ask yourself "Can I handle this?"
  • Don't, I repeat, Don't do it for the vacation time you're going to get. It might sound fun, but you pay for it TEN-FOLD during your work days!
  • If you're in it because you think it's going to be easy....please take your butt elsewhere. Children's lives...their beautiful lives.... are at stake.
I miss First Grade!

Let's just ignore the fact that I just interviewed myself.

p.s- if you want to read more about me and my crazy-self, visit my new updated About Me Page!
If you have any questions about the profession, or comments about teachers....
Comment Below! I'd Love to know!

4 comments:

  1. Preach on sister!!!

    I love that video. It sickens me to think about what we are doing to kids with the budget cuts. Two school districts around me, the 4th largest in Texas just cut their pre K program. It is awful. They are making bad choices that we won't feel for years to come so the politicians gamble and do it because they know they won't be here to feel the pain of their bad decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is really neat! Gave me chills...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article! I do not think I would have the patience for that profession, but I admire those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post. :-)

    Well, except for the video, which is quite disheartening. I've watched quite a few documentaries on education systems, and the messages are hardly positive.

    anyway, I have to say I have such great admiration for teachers. I really do think they have one of the most important jobs in the world. I myself have benefited from quite a few good teachers...and to this day I hate science because of a few bad science teachers.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS